Friday, July 24, 2009

Summer Love Affair with the Joy of Living

She asked, "How can you be so optimistic so much of the time? I'm...a little envious..."
"I don't know," I said, "but I recognize that I am, and that it's different from most people. I guess I'm just filled with the Joy of Living. I know I'm lucky to feel so happy. I think of it as my greatest gift from God."


This summer has been one long love affair with joy--the joys of theatre, of art, of ideas, and friends--old and new--who share my various passions. I think it's really been one of the all-time best summers ever.

A List of This Summer's Joys
The joy of creating.
The joy laughter, laughter and laughter.
The joy of old, comfortable friendships.
The joy of discoveries of new friendships.
The joy of companionship and comradarie.
The joy of quiet time.
The joy of being good-tired after a long day.
The joy of making contact, of taking a hand, of giving and getting hugs.
The joy of musical theatre, the love of which enhances my quality of life like nothing else.
The joy of the satisfaction of lines well-learned.
The joy of intelligent debate, discussion, and conversation.
The joy of entertaining.
The joy of fudge rounds, really good milk shakes, excellent pizza, and fat-fat fries.
The joy of books and movies, and of sharing them.
The joy of smiles that start with the eyes and work down.
The joy of making others happy. ("What better satisfaction is there?")
It all adds up to the Joy of Living.

Finding so much joy in the world, from these seemingly small things. It's a gift. Thank you, God, for making me the way I am.

1 comment: