Monday, May 3, 2010

Night Rhyme


In the middle of the night
in the lonesome dark
where the fear of god begins
And you think of
what has come and gone
and will never come again

Things you wish you’d said
What you wish you’d done
Things you wish that you had not
Old wounds, ancient souls
Times gone by
And people long forgot

Old bruises luminescent
yellowish-green
reappear in the pale moonlight
the sticks and stones
of broken bones
that never healed quite right

The nighttime is
the Twilight Zone
no future, no present, no past.
Conversations played out
in my mind
going all my way at last

What you fear most
the throb of regret
What you know you’ve lost
In the dark of the night
silent and alone
You measure the true cost.


1 comment:

  1. It's interesting how night and dark can mean different things for different people.

    For me, that solitude is a very intimate time with my loving Creator. I have no fear or doubts or worry. I find a lot of peace in that dark night, in that solitude, in that quiet.

    ReplyDelete