Thursday, March 12, 2009

Regrets

So, I, canceled KidsPlay rehearsal this evening because I was obligated to go to the Arts Council meeting only to have them not renew my contract. Yep, I lost one of my part time jobs. So what? We'll cross that bridge later.

But the real pisser (as my dad would say) is, that I missed one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments. One of my KidsPlayers, my beloved Lauren, did a stand-up comedy routine this evening at an event called "Pure Fun". She and my friend Dennis worked together on it, she auditioned and she got in. Tonight was her performance. We're not talking about an ordinary middle-schooler here. We're talking about THE Lauren Prazeau, whose very realistic goal in life is to be a member of the cast of Saturday Night Live. And I missed it only to go to an Arts Council meeting where they fired me. A once-in-a-lifetime, never-to-be-repeated, un-make-it-upable event. @$#%$@#. I can't believe it.

Which makes me think of other regrets I've had. There aren't that many really, which is good. Here's the list, in chronological order:

1) I didn't go home to see my sister as Lucy in her high school production of "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown".
2) I didn't go home for my dad's retirement party.
3) I didn't move to School #19 when I had the chance.
4) I didn't see Lauren do her stand-up routine.

I suppose I should counter this with moments that I WAS there for and have been eternally grateful, but...in reality, they are many. The happy moments, the happy turning points, where turning left or right made all the difference. But that sounds like another entry for another day.

Lauren, I love you so much and I'm sorry I missed your big event. I'm sorry. I hope you forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment